a perfect moment


guidebook in my hand
camera in my bag
unfamiliar pavement beneath my feet.
green scarf around my neck
accents all around me
a thousand people walking past whom I will never meet.

turning down a side street
from the Royal Mile
looking for a building only seen by bus.
see the solid building
gamely step inside
The Elephant House, painted red like rust.

a small pot of chai tea
a shortbread cookie please
an old wooden table that is character-filled.
stir in some milk
dunk the cookie in
look out the window at the castle on the hill.

the castle on the hill
the music on the stereo
Nick Drake's voice singing sweet and low.
the delicious shortbread
in an elephant shape
makes a perfect moment which I won't let go.

I won't let go
even as I leave
even as I fly a whole country away.
Scotland, I love you
a bit of my heart
in cobblestone streets and green hills will stay.


Comments