Ignite


There's a newness to the morning,
although why, I cannot say.
There's a tedium of splendor
in a simple, quiet way.
Though I tend to look about me
at the suffering and pain,
Still the sun blooms bright the dawn,
igniting hopefulness again


I could draw a circle 'round me,
put on some protective hood.
Try to cast the shadows out,
be a puritan of good.
Yet a life behind locked doors,
surely that's not how to live?
Not when there is so much more
I could learn and try to give.


There's a magnitude of sorrow
with an overflow of grace.
Days when loss makes thin the air,
days when mercy has a face.
When I fall will I still know,
how to rise and walk and be?
I've a shield, but no armor,
so I'll use what's given me.


Weight of glory, hold me still,
give a balance to my being.
So confused that I could drown,
with every truth that I am seeing.
For the terror and the joy,
battle stark as night and day.
I will live with faith and love;
I know no lovelier way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Quite a number of lines remind me of Leonard...and that is pretty much the highest compliment I can give!!