once upon a stormy night there was I

I think that some of the best stories begin with, "So there I was ... " Because if it's not out and out said, then it's at least implied, that the person telling the story was just "minding their own business" when wham! out of nowhere, some bizare and tale-worthy event takes place around them.

At least, I tend to get my hopes up when I hear or read a story that begins with "So there I was ...", and I'm usually not disappointed. Sometimes, yes, there are always those sad times. But a story that swoops out of nowhere and enfolds the minding-their-own-business person is usually interesting, at least for the fact that it could happen to anyone, even YOU!


Now I really want to post a "So there I was" story, but then again, I don't want to let anyone down after I just wrote two paragraphs hyping such a telling. I could just keep writing about other ways to begin stories. There's the classic "Once upon a time ..." (of course often followed with 'in a faraway land' or 'in a galaxy far, far away') or of course the foreboding "It was a dark and stormy night ...", to name a couple timeless examples. So what if we combined all three?

Ahem.
"So there I was, once upon a time in a faraway place, and it was a dark and stormy night ... "

Comments