Pondering


Sara is married and I am single
Dana's in college and I am working
Joy is pregnant and I help in the nursery
pondering my life.

Ellen takes pictures, someday for a living
I do as a hobby, though it could be more
John is an artist and I like to sketch
and decorate cakes for friends.

Jake says I should record audio books
Adelle has never asked me to sing
I write poems and songs and nonsense
and save them in email drafts

James asks why I'm not taking college classes
is the answer procrastination?
Wanderlust fills me and scares me to death
I want to dance, but I'm clumsy.

The girl in the mirror looks through me
comparing to others, then back
When will she learn to just be herself
the best of the best she can be?


I am a dreamer, an artist, a question
An answer to someone someday
A giver, a looser, a winner, a poem
Potential for things yet unseen.

Comments