So Long

You may say I make you smile
Maybe I make you laugh
But you won't give me a penny for a song
It's crystal clear just for awhile
That I didn't get close to half
So I don't think I'll be staying here for long.

You make yourself seem generous
So my expectations rise
Till you leave me with a whiff of empty air
Me, I've been so amorous
See the wonder in my eyes?
Then you take us here so I must leave you there.

You can't buy love with pretty gifts
Or even pretty words
if there's no substance to them all along
This isn't just a little riff
Don't pretend you hadn't heard
When I say I won't be staying here for long.

I'll find someone and make them smile
With me they will laugh
Together we'll pitch a penny for a song
We each will go the extra mile
Love won't fit on a graph
That's why I won't be staying here for long.

Comments