The Mercy



Speak slow, they said, but I've no choice
my tongue's on fire, won't pull my voice
Away from all these words that flow
right through my mind, my heart can't slow
With ever rhythm's rise and swell
hold onto life and keep it well
Beyond all war and hate and crime
find something worthy and sublime
Something meaningful and true
the soul will plant that seed anew
The seed of faith and love and hope
we'd drown without that three-cord rope
So burst upon me: brilliant, bright
such splendor in the dead of night
Such beauty breaks my heart in two
tears me apart, makes me brand new
Is this then, how a Phoenix feels?
wakes from the fire and reveals
All age and ashes fall away
a new, pure life, on one pure day
So raw and honest and intense
the mystery of providence
The mercy which would bend so low
to touch the earth, and just to show
A love that never was deserved
that makes the dead alive, reserved
For every person, every race
the mercy glances off each face
So filthy, ragged, destitute
in our own strength, so weak and mute
So that is why I shout and sing
a bird must fly when given wing
The mercy glanced off my dead being
gave me life and life's true meaning
I'll urge everyone I know
accept the mercy, don't be slow!
Hello, my name is Lazarus
I was dead, all dust to dust
Heaven knows, what I would be
if the mercy didn't come to me
Yet true and unto it's sweet name
it did and I am not the same
So let me share this life with all
beseech the world to heed the call
Like a Phoenix, I will soar
someday to heaven, forevermore
So I ask, reason, and plea:
to heaven won't you come with me?

Comments