I Could/Couldn't Do That Job


Years ago, I saw a commercial that spotlighted a guy whose job is was to change light bulbs. Not just any light bulbs, of course: the bulbs on radio towers. The brief commercial showed the guy strapped in and climbing way, way, way up the towers, tool bag in tow, to change light bulbs hundreds of feet up in the air. I don't remember what the commercial was actually advertising. Probably insurance or something like that. What did stick with me was this single thought: that guy's job is awesome. I think I could do that job.

Now for many people, anything to do with heights is terrifying. For some, the thought of just changing light bulbs over and over makes them feel catatonic. I though, was mesmerized. Heights, travel, adventure - love. I can picture the view.

However, not all jobs with heights appeal to me. If someone offered me a job riding up in the white boxes to fix power lines, I would run the other way. My fear of electric shock would turn me off from it (pun intended). This made me think: what kinds of jobs have you seen and thought that you could or couldn't do?

I wouldn't ever want to work as a nail technician. The smell of nail salons - polish and remover and other chemicals - turns me off from it. Plus, I wouldn't relish the thought of handling people's feet. I don't think I'd like to be a hair stylist either. I'd be afraid of messing up someone's hair and that they would be be upset. I am also sure that I wouldn't ever want to be a salesperson of any kind. I would probably try to be too nice: oh it's okay, only buy it if you really want it, well thanks anyway, have a good day.

Landscaping and interior design have long appealed to me. Things involving creativity and use of space. I've also thought about a career in the medial field; something that could help people. On another note, there are always those crazy "They have that job?" kind of job, such as building massive Lego creations for mall exhibits, coming up with new flavors of ice cream, or coming up with unique names for nail polish or hair color. (As Clementine in 'Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind' insists about the naming of her Blue Ruin hair dye, "Someone has that job.")

I think that in most people there is the desire to have a job that lets the world know who we are. Something that gains applause, and love. Actor, singer, artist, author, dancer, Olympian, etc. But not everyone is made for something like that. We are all made for something specific that appeals to us and uses our unique talents and skills.

What are some jobs you have looked at and thought you could possibly or simply could not do?





Comments