Snow Globe Moment



 
Wednesday, January 30th, day 3 of Missions Training:

By this point, everyone knows that I am from Texas and have never experienced ‘real’ snow.
“Never?”
“Never. The most I’ve seen barely covers the ground. To make a foot-tall snowman, we have to scrape snow off of cars and other cold objects. I want to see snow that blankets the ground several inches deep that leaves tracks when I walk in it," I said.

After lunch I found an alcove with a sofa and sat down to read for a while before class began. Ten minutes before classes where scheduled to start, I went downstairs to see if the Commire’s had arrived. They are a family whom I met at Orientation in October. They are a couple who is going to start a ministry in Uganda, along with their four kids. I’ve had a feeling that this time in my life when I am single and able to pick up and go is the ideal and perhaps easiest time to follow this missions calling that God has placed on my heart. Yet seeing the Commires and other couples who are willing to sell their homes and cars and take their children and serve God all together, through all the complications of leaving behind an established life, has amazed and inspired me.

Although I only spent one week with the Commires last October, there was a closeness that formed between all of us who were there and who are in the same place of following God’s call to missions. The Commires were stopping by so that another couple from Orientation could take them to the airport: they were going to Africa on a vision trip.

Looking outside, I was greeted with a glorious sight: it was snowing. The flakes were thick and steady and perfectly silent. Falling snow is so beautiful and peaceful. No wonder so many songs are written about it. A group had gathered to watch the snow and wait for the Commires. Several people said they were glad I had gotten my snow, as I clapped my hands in delight. The Commires still hadn’t arrived and class was about to start, so Ben, who was driving them to the airport, promised to tell us when they arrived. We went up to class but Kristin soon got a text saying they were here so five of us ran downstairs for a quick hello. However it was a false alarm. We waited for a few minutes then began to head slowly back to class when Ben called out that they really were here. Before their car had even pulled to a stop, six people were pushing open the large glass doors and streaming outside to greet them. It was somewhere around 20 degree and none of us had coats or gloves but it didn’t matter. The Commires stepped out of the car with big smiles as each of us hurtled into their arms for a hug. They had to get to the airport and we had to get back to class so we quickly gathered around to pray over their trip. Snow fell gently around us but my heart was pounding with running and happiness, warming me from the inside out. We prayed and hugged again and wished them well. They piled back in the van and five of us went back inside, ran up the stairs and to the classroom. We threw ourselves into our seats, thanking our instructor for letting us go. She smiled and resumed the class. I looked outside at the snow continuing to fall as the Commire’s van started for the airport and for the much warmer climate of Africa. As I sat in class, immersed in mission preparation though glancing now and again out the window, I thought about standing in the snow and praying over a family who is leaving everything to follow God. It was a moment I want to keep forever. If I could, I would put it inside a snow globe, soft flakes gently swirling around the group praying together around an old van filled with suitcases and so much faith. Whenever I’d look at that snow globe, I wouldn’t feel the cold of the air that day, but the warmth of love that bound us all together. I can see that snow globe in my mind. It makes me smile. Maybe someday it will bring me hope in a difficult time, a reminder of God’s leading, and that through Him or through other’s He puts in our lives as the right time, He never leaves us alone.

Comments

Sarah Butler said…
You sound so happy! I'm glad the group is so close and supportive.
Shelley said…
Ok, this one made me tear up. I can just feel the exhilarating contrast of the cold air and warm excitement. Great writing, as usual, Sonnet!
Sonnet Alyse said…
Thank you Sarah and Shelley!! :)