Songs Of Joy And Peace and Sadness


 "What can I given Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb
And if I were a wise man, I would do my part
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart"
 - In The Bleak Midwinter



I asked a couple of friends recently, "What is your favorite sad Christmas song?" I was thinking specifically of the song "River", which, as is pointed out in the movie "You've Got Mail", isn't truly even about Christmas. It's sung from the perspective of a woman who feels that because of her, the man she loves is gone from her life. Mournfully she sings, "I wish I had a river I could skate away on".
The girls I asked, however, didn't have an answer to my question. In fact they were a little taken aback. "Sad Christmas songs?" was the reply. Sad songs have always stood out to me at any time of the year. Of course they are there at Christmas time too: it can be 'the most wonderful time of the year', but it can also be the most lonely. Since that conversation, I've noticed a lot of Christmas songs that take feelings of sadness and longing into account. Honestly, I love them all the more for it.

Examples? There's of course the classic "I'll Be Home For Christmas", beloved by many whether or not they have been away from family during the holidays. The version sung by Josh Groban which features audio clips from soldiers overseas, leaving messages for their children and families back home, kills me every time.

There is "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day", a song written as a man experienced feelings of hopelessness: "And in despair I bowed my head: There is no peace on earth," I said / For hate is strong and mocks the song / Of peace on earth, good will to men." Yet even as he writes the words he is renewed: "Then pealed the bells both loud and deep / God is not dead, nor doth he sleep; The wrong shall fail, the right prevail / With peace on earth, good will to men."   Without the hopelessness - without going through it and rising from it - the song would not be as beautiful and timeless as it is.

Then there's ones which hide the sadness beneath catchy melodies. Songs such as "We Need A Little Christmas". Upon first listen, it's bright and spirited, yet listen closer and you'll find that the singer is 'rushing things' because of how much they need some holiday cheer.
"Haul out the holly / Put up the tree before my spirit falls again" and "For I've grown a little leaner / Grown a little colder / Grown a little sadder / Grown a little older / And I need a little angel / Sitting on my shoulder / Need a little Christmas now".
Or "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas": "Through the years we all will be together / If the fates allow / Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow".


It's always opposites that make something stand out stronger, isn't it? Sadness makes joy all the brighter and sweeter. I did have a merry little Christmas, surrounded by family. I was sad to think that next year I may have to stay in Ecuador and not be with my family in my dear home state for Christmas, but it's alright. I am soaking it up, storing away the wonderful memories and knowing how incredibly blessed I am to have so many of them. I don't want a river to skate away on, unless it would circle back to those I love. But I do appreciate the sentiment: it makes me all the more thankful for each little joy.


 

Comments