Popcorn In My Soup

 "And everyone says
This love will change you
Well I ask, does anything ever stay the same
No, no, no
Just same changes"

 - Same Changes, by The Weepies


My missions organization, International Teams, has a saying that is repeated often when dealing with cultural differences: It's not good, it's not bad, it's just different. This can be said of things such as how it's culturally expected to greet every person when one enters a room/group, because even if you're late and want to slip in quietly, it would be rude to not say hello and goodbye to each person present by going up to them and giving the traditional greeting of touching cheeks and kissing the air. Or how the question, "How old are you?" is asked of me from complete strangers, whose curiosity about my age and place of birth are perfectly commonplace. These are specific traits of a South American 'warm culture': more friendly and outgoing, people-oriented instead of time-oriented. I enjoy it, though it is still changes to get used to and be aware of.

It's a neat process. As well as new-to-me manners and rules of society, there is of course new ways of transportation (taxis, buses, and trolleys instead of having a car), different architecture (lot of stairs, nooks, and balconies - I love it), and new foods. The other week I went out to eat at a little restaurant with no menu, just the daily special. A few minutes after sitting down, bowls of plain popcorn were set on the table. I thought this was an appetizer, like chips and salsa, until soup was set before us and the other people at the table took the popcorn and put some in their soup. I had never heard of this: popcorn in soup! So I tried it. It was delicious. What a brilliant idea!

I know that as I learn more about the Ecuadorian cultures and customs, there will be things I like, don't care for, and simply find to be different. It's different for me that most fences are topped with barbed wire or tall shards of glass cemented in to deter robbers. It's different that men honk or whistle freely at women while driving by. It's different that people might ask me for money more boldly if they believe I'm not Ecuadorian (because Americans have a reputation to them as having more money). But I'm getting used to it. Some things I will even come to adopt and love, things such as popcorn in my soup.

Comments

Meredith said…
So speaking of popcorn..I have totally been craving that Dill Pickle Popcorn and Birthday Cake popcorn!!!

Just thought you should know!
Sonnet Alyse said…
Oh man, now I really want some too! It might be time to start some home experimenting with creative popcorn making. :)