Dream Home, part 2

 Loo, loo, loo, I'll take you dreaming
Through the rainy night
To a place behind the raindrops
Where the stars are bright
You may not find gold or silver
But a richer prize
Waits for you behind the raindrops
If you close your eyes
 

 - "I'll Take You Dreaming", Danny Kaye


My dream home would consist of things from these places:

:: The tree houses from "Swiss Family Robinson" and the original black-and-white "Tarzan" movies


:: The garden from "The Secret Garden" and the fixed-up attic room from "A Little Princess" (both by Frances Hodgeson Burnett)


:: The homes in "Andrew Henry's Meadow", one of my favorite children's books (one home is underground, one in a tree, one is a cozy stone cottage, one has a moat ...)


:: A library with elements from "Funny Face" (like the sliding ladders for high shelves)

:: Penelope's bedroom from "Penelope" (with the indoor swing)


:: Overlooking the sea, as in "Miss Rumphius" 

:: Bright country colors as in "The Hidden House"

Also: It would have a secret room, probably behind a sliding bookshelf. There would be a glass greenhouse made of old windows. A pool is always nice. There would be a balcony, possibly on the roof; somewhere high with a great view of the landscape and stars. There would be huge window seats and plenty of nooks for reading and writing. One room would have a high ceiling and great acoustics for singing and music. There would be big windows and skylights: light everywhere. The walls would be different colors and the furniture and decorations would be a modge-podge of things from all sorts of places.That would be my dream house. Somehow, it wouldn't be huge, no excess bedrooms or grand entryways. But it would have a library and music room and tree house and garden. It would be welcoming and liveable.

There's an old poem by A.A. Milne called "The Wrong House" which simply states what a house should and shouldn't be (from the wondering perspective of a child), starting with:

I went into a house, but it wasn't a house
It has big steps and a great big hall;
But it hasn't got a garden,
A garden,
A garden,
It isn't like a house at all.


and ending:

I went into a house, and I thought it was a house,
I could hear from the may-tree the blackbird call
But nobody listened to it,
Nobody
Liked it,
Nobody wanted it at all.


Wherever I live, I want to be able to appreciate where I am and all the little things that come with it, like a blackbird's call. I want to be content, while still knowing I will always dream and imagine and work to make the place I am - home.

Comments