A Longing For Roses

"High above a mountain in Quito
An old man and his bride grow roses
Red and yellow, white and golden
To him they are precious as children."
 - The Roses, by Caedmon's Call



I had a conversation with my Mom not long ago about money and beauty. For years she has had to make money decisions based solely on economics, because that's what you have to do when you have nine kids. What is the cheapest, what can I get the most wear out of, what can stretch my dollar as far as possible so that everyone has what they need. I learned to accept this at a young age, and not only that: I knew that it was better to have five brothers and three sisters than to have 'the latest thing',that off-brand food items usually taste just as good as the well-known brands, and that when money is hard-earned it should be well-spent. I knew to plan and save, and when I did buy 'the latest thing', it meant all the more.

Over half of my siblings and I have moved out of the house now. However my parents still support many of us wherever possible, always being there when needed (myself included, in huge ways since I am living off mission support raised by family, friends, and my church). Yet, my Mom can now buy a little less of the basics such as food and toilet paper. Sometimes, she can stretch her dollar now to include household items that aren't just functional, but also pretty. In our recent conversation, she said something that has stayed with me: "I've realized that sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more for something that is pretty. Even if it's a colorful tissue box, sometimes it's nice to have something pretty that makes you smile instead of just the least expensive option."

My parent's house is absolutely beautiful. There is a wide front deck with chairs painted different colors. Indeed, color is the theme of the home. Bright Fiesta Ware plates and mugs fill the open kitchen cabinets. Skylights and large windows give each room a bright, warm feel. Quilts that my Mom has hand-made over the years cover the beds and are pulled from a trunk for anyone to snuggle in while watching TV.  Colorful rugs cover the marbled cement floor. It is welcoming and lovely through the through.

I've followed suite by painting each room in my apartment a different color, and every day it makes me so happy. We all have to decide where our money goes. Whether it goes towards things that will be there over time, such as making one's home more festive and welcoming, or just in something small that will catch the eye and make one smile. Like pretty tissue boxes. Like roses.

The other week, the day after my birthday, I had a longing for roses. I needed a few groceries and was deciding whether to walk two minutes to one of the tiendas (corner stores) or head to SuperMaxi, about a mile away. SuperMaxi is farther but has a cheaper, wider variety. The tiendas are close and a little more pricey but I like getting to know the shop owners. But, I wanted roses. So I went to SuperMaxi. Except that they just didn't have much of a variety that day. So I bought what I needed and nothing more, packed it in my reusable bag which fits great on my shoulder, and walked another three quarters of a mile to a flower vendor I had passed before. I wasn't disappointed. The bouquets were full and fresh. It was a feast of color and scent. I selected orange roses with deep tinted edges, similar pink ones, and just to tie the two colors together, a bouquet of yellow roses. All told, my three generous bouquets came out to $7.50.

I placed them in my bag but it was awkward to try and carry them without crushing them, so instead of walking and taking the inexpensive bus, I hailed a taxi. Taxis here are still incredibly cheap compared to the US, yet are more pricey when compared to a 25 cent bus. Yet as well as sometimes needing to spend a little money on beauty, I've always learned that sometimes it's worth it to spend a little more on time. Taking a taxi would probably save me thirty minutes of travel by foot and bus. I got in the cab and was soon home, trimming the stems off the roses and fashioning them into two bouquets.

I think it's human to have a longing for beauty. We want to see it, create it, be it, understand or simply wonder at it. So let us wonder. Let us be okay to want it and have it and let it brighten our days. It may cost us a few dollars more or another mile or walking. Roses won't last, walls will have to be repainted, house-hold items used up and re-purchased, yet for the moments that something beautiful makes you smile and feel a little more thankful for life, I think that's worth it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is beautifully written. I genuinely enjoyed it. You are beautiful Sonnet and have great taste in beauty!
Anonymous said…
Beauty counts and sadly it is what I think is lacking in many American churches. Obsessed with function (and quite frankly technology) we have forgotten that the Creator made a beautify world, not just a functional one.

And Beautiful does NOT have to mean expensive...

-From Me!