If The World Were Flat


If the world had an edge
I would travel for ages to see it

With worn shoes I would stand
on the edge of the world, arms spread wide

Eyes open to see the everything
or the nothing,
which lies beyond

Ears straining for the song of the stars
or the silence surrounding our atmosphere

All that separates the earth from the rest:
armful of planets
silver scoop of moons
splash of milky way

I would shout into the void or the fullness
Swaying, teetering, holding on by my toes

Would I fall? Abandon myself to the beyond?
Would I stay there? Live on the world's edge?
Or would I smile, wave, laugh, and go
Embrace the beyond, and then turn
Return

Back to where I started from
 - places never just the same, though just as loved -
Back to a place to go on, or start again
Keep living, trying, failing, doing, being

Wider inside:
a void in me filled with the vibrant void from beyond

A place of merely two directions;
Forward into the unknown
Back to the radiant rest of the earth

To have gone, to have been, to have seen
The edge of a non-spherical earth
Flat though not one-dimensional
To the edge and back

The soles of my shoes to tell the story of the journey
The soul inside me to tell of what was gained

Comments