Greenhouse

"You must do something to make the world more beautiful."
 - from the book "Miss Rumphius", by Barbara Cooney

 

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of someday building a greenhouse made from all different types of glass. The glass would be recycled from old windows and doors. Here and there would be old latches and doorknobs, combining with panes of all sizes to create one lovely and perfectly unique glass house.

On winter days, I would walk into the greenhouse to find it bursting with color and warmth. There would be Christmas poinsettias and tropical plants. I would shake off the cold and walk among the flowers and leaves which exuded life and vibrance in the midst of frost and chill. A glass garden made from antique things, supporting brand-new life.

It was my parents who first came up with the idea. They are both creative. My Dad designs homes and my Mom is talented at always making something beautiful and useful from nothing. The idea of creating a greenhouse from recycled glass latched onto my mind and grew into a vision. I can see the carefully collected panes of glass. I can see the skeleton going up, and each pane being fitted into place like pieces in a puzzle. Finally the door - green, with a brass knob - will be installed. Slowly I will fill the house with plants. It will be functional and yet full of whimsy. My whimsical glass greenhouse dream.

Comments