Snipets of Daily Life (part 2)



I walk down the sidewalk, hiding behind large sunglasses and headphones which pipe podcasts and music into my ears with every step. A woman walks past me; she reeks of marijuana. As used as I am to the sight of people opening smoking a joint in public here, and the accompanying smell, still something inside me draws back. Before the woman passed me she walked past a mother in indigenous garb, stooping down to use a long piece of cloth to secure her baby to her back.


I sit in the back of the bus, heading home. I notice a woman whose black hair is streaked with white. She wears it braided and twisted into an elegant bun. From behind, I think she must be around 60. When she stands up, her face and fashion look much younger. 40 is my new guess. Few women let their hair become salt-and-pepper, choosing to dye it instead. On her, it is beautiful. She is stunning, a mix of graceful age and youth, a mystery. She walks off the bus and I watch her until the bus pulls away. White-streaked hair like a crown, long red coat cloaking a tall, full-figured frame. Timeless.


For three hours I sit in front of my computer, surrounded by receipts. I take a pile of expenses and categorize them: food, transportation, hygiene, school, clothes, home maintenance, etc. Each receipt is recorded into an excel. Date, amount, and description, all typed out. I take the organized receipts to the office, and two days later I return to pick up a check. When the check is cashed I dole out funds to the house-parents and the tutor, any staff member who has a legitimate need for Casa Gabriel money, and write down every cent. It may not be a glamorous part of my job, but I enjoy it. I enjoy taking numbers and turning them into something, turning them around so we can all keep going.


From behind me, Moises says my name and pokes me. I jump with surprise and he apologizes, grinning. I grin back, telling him it's fine. In truth it makes me happy to see him tease me. When he first came to Casa Gabriel he was shy and withdrawn, as many of the boys are at first. To see them come out of their shells and be interactive and happy is so good. One day it was clear that Moises was no longer the boy who asked to be excused from the dinner table the moment he was done eating so he could go be alone. He is one of the boys. One of the family.


Comments