Small Kindnesses



This is a devotion I wrote for the weekly Youth World newsletter which goes out to everyone in our Ecuador missions community.




I have always loved this poem by Emily Dickinson:

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

Have you ever had someone – a friend or complete stranger – say or do something which made your whole day better? A simple smile, a kind gesture, and suddenly that small bit of thoughtfulness can make a huge difference. 

We don’t always know how our lives impact the people around us. Sure if you’re in a place to save someone’s life or help them through a difficult time, it’s more obvious than the moments when you give a simple compliment, let someone go before you in line, or show patience and understanding in a frustrating situation. Human nature proclaims, “I’m first. I need to think about myself and my needs before others.” The Holy Spirit leads us to the opposite approach: putting others first. 

Think about a time when someone did something kind for you, and it inspired you to do something thoughtful for someone else. It can be a ripple effect. I only wish we could see a map of that pattern, small kindnesses spreading outwards and being paid forward. 


You matter.
You are valued.
You are loved.
You make a difference in the lives of others. 

Remember that today. Then find a way to remind someone else. 

Comments