Snipets of Daily Life (part 4)


"I can walk down the street, there's no one there
Though the pavements are one huge crowd.
I can drive down the road, my eyes don't see,
Though my mind wants to cry out loud"

 - I Feel Free, by Cream 



I have two silver and amber rings I love to wear. They are simple and delicate. The golden-hued resin catches the light and shows the inner texture. Ancient story on my finger.



There are many Spanish words which were  foreign to me when I first arrived in Ecuador, which now have begun to often replace my English ones in my head.
"Salud" (health), to say when someone sneezes.
"Remate" (sale, like garage sale or yard sale but in someone's home), when someone is moving and is selling a bunch of things.
"Minga" (cleaning day), when people - possibly even a whole town - gets together to pitch in and accomplish a specific task.
"Despedida" (going away party), when planning a celebration for someone who is leaving.



My family is incredible. One of my closest friends is in the hospital, and two of my sisters immediately offered ways to help. Partly because of Lindsey, because she's gotten to know and love my family for the past 12 years we've been friends, and partly for me. Because I am far away, they've stepped forward to give and do. I may be all over the place with heartache and concern, yet also with gratefulness, with thankfulness, because of them.


Comments