Stumbling and Soldiering





Once or so, I've felt I had been split down the middle
All parts of myself torn asunder

Still
I was the eternal optimist
believing in relief
found just over the horizon
While feeling like a soldier who is stumbling forward
Hands pressed tight against his abdomen,
his chest,
Trying to keep his organs from spilling out
Blood seeping through his fingers
soaking his clothes
Somehow -
teeth gritted in a smile through the pain –
He makes it all the way to the med tent
before asking for help

Though still I am that soldier
oft stumbling along
I’ve learned to ask for help when I am bleeding
for it is unnecessary and unwise
to always try and bandage oneself

I’ve learned
I can trust others with my wounds
(though tis always a risk, I admit:
hand someone your knife to hold and they can choose to cut you with it)
Sometimes I cannot carry all the pieces of myself alone

So I share this
while soldiering forward
and stumbling on
For if you need someone to press their hand against the wound in your heart
Stopper the blood
till we can try and properly bandage it up

I will.

Comments