Laughter


"Comedy is easy once you know the basics
Starting with the concept of surprise!"
 - Comedy Gold, from the show Galavant


I love laughter. Not just a chuckle but full-bodied can't-help-it laughter which fills every part of oneself and bursts outward. It's the kind of laughter let loose only in situations such as watching something really funny or sharing longevous jokes between friends or family.

I was Skyping with my brother Huck once, when he made a silly joke I'll long remember. I was in my first year of living in Ecuador. I was trying to figure out what to do with the car I still owned in the States. It had broken down and the mechanic I hired to make the expensive repairs turned out to be a fraud. I went so far as to file a lawsuit against him after he installed the wrong type of engine in my car, an engine which had the VPN scratched off of it, making it's origin highly suspicious. The mechanic closed shop and disappeared, leaving me with a broken down car stranded on my parents property. Unable to afford to have more work done to it, I told Huck that my once dream car would likely have to be sold for parts.

"I'm sorry", he commiserated, gently. After a beat he added, "Yeah, I think Mom's chickens are using it as their new roost."

I burst out laughing. I saw Huck's eyes light up: apparently he wasn't sure how I'd take his attempt to lighten the mood.

"I think they really like it!" he continued. "It's their new favorite spot."
"A very expensive coop!" I laughed. "But at least someone's getting some use out of it!"

I know: the joke may not sound that humorous to anyone else. But after the months of frustration and heartache I'd been though because of the whole situation, it was good to be able to laugh about part of it. (In actuality, the chickens only explored the exterior of the car: it was kept locked up so they couldn't have actually roosted inside, yet the visual of my poor car finding new purpose as a chicken coop was just right.).

It was the look in Huck's eyes, as well, which I won't forget. I think he half expected me to sigh, sadly, or even be annoyed. My burst of laughter surprised and delighted him. His joke landed perfectly.

I did eventually sell the car for parts. When I'm at my parent's house, I still glance at the spot it sat for over a year, waiting to be sold off. As sad as the situation was, I still smile and laugh at my brother's joke, imagining my Mom's chickens happily clucking around my car. Their new favorite coop.

Comments