Small Span Of Time




I am caught
between heaven and earth
My body slowly pulled
in gravity's grip
My soul
falling upwards
Each day
I am a little heavier
and a bit lighter

Both
wrestling within me
to claim the greater grasp


I examine myself
Shouldn't they show?
The patchwork seams
from when I have been broken
and been sewn together once more
by loved ones
or by my own clumsy hand
Uneven stitches only I can trace
Except
for where a seed of hope was planted in my heart
Tree of eternal life

Surely
I can feel the roots
pressing gently against my ribs


I am an earthly being
Bound up in the beauty
of soil, sea, and sun
Yet it it when I think nothing
can be finer than this
I hear a whisper
of better things ahead
And it is when I feel nothing
can be more terrible
than this life of loss and pain and grief
I sense the assurance
that I am rooted in the sky

Nevertheless
I am caught between
for but a little more

Alwaysthemore
is the promise
planted safely in this patchwork soul.


Comments