Kicks


"Well that's one way to loose
These walking blues
Diamonds on the soles of her shoes."
 - Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes, by Paul Simon



I often kick the heels of the Casa Gabriel boys to get their attention. That may sound more violent than it actually is.

It's a tap, really: stretching out one foot to tap the heel of one of the guys so that they turn and see I want to motion them over.

"How are you? How is your family?" I asked Joel when he turned my way.
A grunt and shrug in return.
"Same problems, or new ones?" I gently probed. He is a protective son, trying to help out his Mom and hold his own in a big family.
"Same, plus new," Joel replied.
"I'm sorry. I'm glad you're here," I told him, squeezing his shoulder as he nodded.

It's the same with another guy later that Sunday, tapping his heel and realizing for the first time it's a habit. When Daniel came over, head tilted and eyes down while smiling that sweet, shy smile of his I asked him, "How is your sister and her kids? They left for the coast, right?"
Daniel nodded.
"Did she go there for work, or ... ?" and I asked him a more pointed question about motive.
"Both".
"Mmm. Yeah. The youngest, he's four, isn't he?"
We talked about his nieces and nephews for a while. About how he's a good uncle but things can be hard.
"But you're back! You're studying!" I exclaimed, and Daniel grinned. He had left Casa Gabriel before to help out his family, so it is a privilege to have him back. The day before, all the guys helped some friends move. They worked hard and had great attitudes. It struck me especially how Daniel fit right back in with the other guys, all of them calling him by an old nickname and slapping each other on the back as they joked around. True, Daniel had made mistakes and had maturing to do, yet he recognized this and humbly asked for help. I love that he's back and part of the home once more.

Luis walked up behind me, saying my name in that drawn-out way of his: "So----nnet." He's the youngest boy in the home. He put his hand on the back of my neck and gave a playful squeeze, but it was a little too hard and hurt.
"Ow! Careful, you're strong," I scolded him, then put my arm around his shoulders. Oh little Luis. Once, when asked what he wanted for his birthday, he said, "Are there pills which can make you grow taller? No? Then I want new headphones."

It's always an adventure with these guys. They can be moody teenagers, stubborn and angsty, yet for the most part they are incredibly gentle and kind to me. In return I kick their heels and tell them I'm glad they're here. I'm so glad.


Comments