Three Poems



I've been writing a poetry series about my imagined future husband, and yes, also about if those dreams never come to be. Here are a few of many. 


Realism

It will be different for us
than for the twenty-somethings
who met in high school or college
just as their lives were beginning to begin
clasping hands and jumping unknowingly into the world of adulthood
I wish them well
But it will be different for us

You and I
we’ll have a lot of life lived between us
There’ll be no giddy selection
of a first apartment
first couch, first blender
We will mold existing homes and lives
two becoming one
and though it may be difficult
sacrifices and compromises
we will look forward to it
so long awaited

By you and I



Footnotes

Show me your scars
they are maps            pointing to stories

Let me trace them
while you tell me all
For a good way to know someone
            is to know the pain they wear
just under the skin
       (pain can run deeper than happiness)

Let me understand              then, together
we’ll build the best foundation



Let You Lead

My favorite literary heroes
always find strength
before love

Instead of rose-colored glasses
   their gaze takes in everything
searching for truth
standing for freedom
Anyone who comes to claim their heart
   must share their resolve
They will not be won with soft words and flattery
  no
a matching spirit is required
to a win a heart so purposeful

I am no damsel in distress
I am capable, and kind
empathetic, and brave
Although I need no white knight
      You look so fine on that white horse
I will consider blushing
simply to show that in my strength, there is warmth
      should you seek it
(should you be equal to the challenge which is my heart)


Comments