Winsome



Winsome (definition)
Generally pleasing and appealing in appearance or character, often engaging because of a childlike charm and innocence.

Synonyms: 
Blithe, buoyant, engaging, charming, cheery, gladsome 



I'm sitting in Epoch coffee shop, and to my left there's a window with a blue frame. I instantly love it. A colored window frame - brilliant! Like the painted doors in my parent's house, a cheery splash of color to contrast practical-colored walls.

I'm wearing my high-wasted black pencil skirt, the one which comes right under my ribs, just a tad corset-like, and gives me the hint of an hourglass figure. Wearing it, I feel both confident and vulnerable. Look at my curves, I'm womanly and bold! Oh no, I'm too dressed-up for daytime, exposed. I call it my "Madmen" skirt, loving it even while knowing it's likely a touch too dressy for my office, yet wearing it with a sweater or more casual top and letting it be okay. Knowing I worry too much about these kinds of things anyway. It's okay; I can pair my Madmen skirt with heels and a crisp button-down, I can stride into the office if I want and no one can take me down unless I allow their words to do so, meaning I'm only taking down myself. It's okay; life is too short to not dress how we want, be it fancy or casual. I've always expressed myself through fashion, even while being self-conscious of it. I need to be who I am without apology. Too much of life is spent apologizing unnecessarily, or feeling as though we should, secretly stressing about the opinions of others when all we should be concerned with is being ourselves. Fully, authentically ourselves. Let us be comfortable in our clothes and in our skins. Let us be expressive and not oppressive. Let us be bright and brave and joyful. Let us be free.



After the coffee shop (which was an interlude to use of in-between time) I visited a favorite museum with two of my brothers. On one day a month the place is free, and open late, so we met there and explored. We wandered and stared, soaking up the colors, designs, images and concepts, particularly a temporary exhibit of beaded tapestries, outfits, and masks. Afterwards, from the lawn of the museum we could see the Austin capital, small amid the rising skyscrapers, yet impressive and inspiring nonetheless. We gasped, delighted, as an owl swooped suddenly from a tree, circling in a wide arc above us before coming to rest in the branches once more. It was the first time I'd seen an owl in the city. Did he sleep in that tree until twilight? Or perhaps in the tower of the university nearby, or some other similar spot.

The sky grew darker; by contrast, the city lights brightened. We said goodnight and drove away to our various destinations. At home, I slid out of the pencil skirt and picked out my outfit for the next day.  In my mind and onto the page bloomed descriptions of color; color in window frames, clothes, and art. We are vivid beings, drawn to color and self-expression. We are winsome (one of my favorite words). I think it's how we're meant to be, though often, we just need to pause and remember.


Comments