2020 In Music


Every year since 2012, I've made a playlist of songs for each year. Most are newly released that year, while some are ones I simply discovered that year for the first time and which resonated with me. Here is my look back on 2020 in music from then and beyond. 


Top Songs:

"And It's Still Alright"
 - Nathanial Rateliff ("It's Still Alright") 

"Say, times are hard, you get this far, but it
Ain't the way that you want
I'll be damned if this old man don't
Start to count on his losses
But it's still alright"
I would have loved this song no matter the year, yet it stood out to me as one of the first to feel like an anthem for 2020. The gravelly-sung words "It's still alright" touched my heart as I sheltered in place, as the numbers rose, as everything changed and lingered that way on and on; still, somehow, Say, hard times you could find, it / Ain't the way that you want / But it's still alright". 


"I Want More"
- KALEO ("Surface Sounds")

"If you leap I'll come
Falling too
Running deep 'till that
Rivers through
I don't mind what you have to do
'Cause I won't think less, less of you
Yes, I want more"

Hear me on this: you must listen to this song. The lyrics arrest me every time but the arrangement of the melody is beyond perfect as well. There's the whistle at the beginning. The way the bridge is both an anchor and makes me feel like my heart is about to jump from my chest when I hear it because the emotion is rendered so fiercely. The way the chorus comes crashing back afterwards, ending with a dearly pleading, longing request. I've listened to it on repeat so many times and still ... I want more. 


"Be Afraid"
 - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit ("Reunions") 

"And if your words add up to nothing
Then you're making a choice to sing a cover when you need a battle cry
Be afraid, be very afraid
But do it anyway
Do it anyway"

Bravery is important to me. I try to follow the advice of doing things which scare me. What an image to contrast singing a much-heard cover to a strong battle cry! Oh may it be the latter. Be afraid - but do it anyway. 

"Colors"
 - Black Pumas ("Black Pumas", 2019)

"The least I can say, I anticipate
A homecoming parade as we renegade
In the morning, right on
With all my favorite colors, yes, sir
All my favorite colors, yes, ma'am
My sisters and my brothers
See 'em like no other
All my favorite colors"

Once noticed, Black Pumas exploded onto the local music scene, nominated for a Best New Artist Grammy and selling out a record FOUR shows at the classic music venue Stubb's. As with everything else, Covid-19 postponed their shows, yet even with the crushing disruption the band was able to record a few new songs in late 2020, including a unique cover of "Eleanor Rigby". 
"Colors" was their first radio single, highlighting their soulful sound. The album as a whole is stellar, yet "Colors" will remain my favorite, and will likely go down as a classic. 


"Patience"
 - Cover by Chris Cornell (single released posthumously) 

"Was a time when I wasn't sure
You set my mind at ease
There ain't no doubt you're in my heart now"

Originally a Guns N' Roses song, the cover was released on what would have been Cornell's 56th birthday.   Any song with a waltz melody has a good chance of finding a place in my heart, and that plus lyrics which matched the trust of love I'd found with Andy plus the tragedy of the talented singer made a trio of reasons for which I adored this song from the moment I heard it. "We will come together fine / All we need is just a little patience." 


"Fear Of Failure"
 - Sea Wolf ("Through A Dark Wood", 2019) 

"There's always been this thing
I've had this stage-fright
It's kept me from the ring
Hate the spotlight
And I don't wanna sing
But I have to, but I have to
Fear of failure, fear of failure 
And I have to be brave
Even though I'm still afraid"

It's easy to guess that I love this song because, again, it's about bravely facing fears. I appreciate how the singer confesses that maybe they don't want the spotlight yet are completely compelled to sing by something greater than their fear of failure. No matter the trepidation, they'll do what they must. 


"Hallelujah"
 - Oh Wonder ("No One Else Can Wear Your Crown", 2019)

"Saying, "Don't go slow
'Cause you're gonna be someone"
They were singing hallelujah
Halle-hallelujah
I heard it on the radio
On my way back home
And I'll be singing
Halle-halle-halle-halle-halle-hallelujah
Halle-hallelujah
Whether you like it or not"

The singer lilts out a sweet and strong hallelujah, singing about how she's going to be famous no matter what anyone else thinks. It's a bold dare-to-tell-her-otherwise set of lyrics, before she breaks into a repetition of hallelujah which show her lovely range and to which I can't help singing along, emboldened right beside her. 


"epiphany"
 - Taylor Swift ("Folklore")

"Only 20 minutes to sleep
But you dream of some epiphany
Just one single glimpse of relief
To make some sense of what you've seen"

Honestly, I love both "Folklore" and "evermore" so, so much. I didn't used to be a Taylor Swift fan, but steadily she grew on me over the years. I picked this song as a favorite because of connections to 2020, and because on an album which is exploratory in many ways, this song stands out for how her voice slides quickly up in a unique way. A moving song of many lovely, thought-provoking ones. 


"Fighter"
 - Joseph ("Trio Sessions") 

"Wide eyes, eyes wide
I want a fighter
Don't lie this time
I need a fighter
You're my bright side
I want it brighter
Don't leave me in the dark
Don't leave me in the dark"

The band is comprised of a trio of sisters whose close harmonies carry a beautifully haunting and melodic sound. The lyrics are beseeching but the sound is commanding; it's not an ask, it's a tell. "I'm carrying the spark": do well to be the fighter the singer requires. 


Honorable mentions:

"Dressing America"
 - TORRES ("Silver Tongue") 

"Golden"
 - Harry Styles ("Fine Line") 

"Second Hand Lovers"
 - Oren Lavie (single)

"Up"
 - Singstreet musical (2020 Broadway version) 

"River Like You"
 - Maya Hawke ("Blush")

"I Want You To Want Me"
- Cover by Jane Levy, from the show "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

"Underdog"
 - Alicia Keys ("ALICIA")

"This Feeling"
 - Alabama Shakes ("Sound And Color", 2015)

"A Lingering Love"
 - Fruit Bats ("Gold Past Life", 2019)

"The Stable Song"
 - Gregory Alan Isakov ("Gregory Alan Isakov with the Colorado Symphony", 2016)

"Coastline"
 - Hollow Coves ("Wanderlust", 2016)

"cardigan"
 - Taylor Swift ("folklore")

"no body, no crime"
- Taylor Swift ("evermore")

"Archie, Marry Me"
- Alvvays ("Alvvays", 2014) 

"Cold Comfort"
 - Glen Hansard (single)

"Everything I Wanted" 
- Billie Eilish (single, 2019)

"Lost On You"
 - LP ("Lost On You", 2016)

"Take Care" 
-Beach House ("Teen Dream" album, 2010)

"Faith"
 - Bon Iver ("i,i", 2019)


Whole Albums

"Dreamland" - Glass Animals 

"Migration Stories" - M. Ward 

"Superdream" - Big Wild 

"S16" - Woodkid

"Shore" - Fleetfoxes 

"Country Things Vol. 1" - Granger Smith 

"The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" - Saint Motel

"Monovision" - Ray LaMontagne 

"Work Hard and Be Nice" - Michael Franti and Spearhead 

"Pick Me Up Off The Floor" - Norah Jones 

"After Hours" - The Weekend 

"Most Of Us Are Strangers" - Seafret 

"Leave What's Lost Behind" - Tame Impala 

"Swimmer" - Tennis 

"The Slow Rush" - Tame Impala 

"folklore" and "evermore"  - Taylor Swift 

"Blush" - Maya Hawk 

"Fine Lines" - Harry Styles

"More Love: Songs From Little Voice season 1" - Sara Bareilles 

"The Third Gleam" - The Avett Brothers 


Comments