Simple Appreciations



"Don't let the things you hold on to ever outnumber the things you let go
Don't let the things you remember ever outnumber the things you live for"
 - Tokyo, by Josh Ritter 

 The juice from an orange runs over my fingers as I peel it open. It’s so perfectly encased, and so deliciously easy to pull apart into bite-size pieces. I pop them in my mouth one by one, a burst of citrus sweetness on my tongue. Minutes later, I ball the bits of peel up in my hand and toss them out. I wash the sticky residue from my fingers, and it occurs to me how many times I see an orange, consider eating it, and don’t, simply because of the peel getting under my fingernails and the juice on my hands. Too often I opt for an easier, less-messy snack, but easier doesn’t signal better. When I took the time between work tasks for the orange, I also took time to consider it: the compact feel of the orb in my hands, cool from the fridge. The bright color for which it’s aptly named (or is it the other way around?). The timeless task of peeling it, of catching every bit of sweet juice possible, of being thankful for the nourishing vitamin C it provides. Small things I could leave unnoticed, or not have experienced at all. 


The scent of orange lingers on my hands. I inhale deeply, picturing a grove of orange trees, the branches heavy with fruit. I think of books I read as a child, such as Little House On The Prairie or Little Women, where to receive an orange in one’s stocking at Christmas was an exceptional treat. They weren’t available then as they are today, so to be able to have and savor that sunshine fruit was rare. In contrast, I take my access to them for granted. I can buy a bag and carelessly not eat them all before they go bad, shrugging as mold grows and they get thrown out. So, it was a rare moment to find myself lingering over one with such a clear sense of gratitude for both their availability and mere existence. Too often, I long for cake and other pastries when what I really need is fruit. Even after just eating one, I realize that it’s the type of sweetness I truly crave.

So, may we take the time for oranges and similar considerations. May we appreciate the complexity of seemingly simple things. May we find happiness in nourishment straight from the earth, sticky fingers and all. 


Comments