Como Puedes Amarme



I first saw a Baobab tree many years ago on a two-week trip to Tanzania. They fascinated me completely: towering sentinels rising from the African plains. I couldn't find a photo to do justice to what it is like to see them from the window of a van, the red dust swirling in our wake not coming close to touching the impressive height of those peaceful giants. They are known as the Tree Of Life because of the water they contain in their trunks, the fruit they produce, the way their bark is fibrous enough to be woven into household objects, and more. Baobabs are also referenced in the book "The Little Prince", including a fanciful illustration of how the trees can overtake the fictional Prince's tiny planet if he is not diligent. 

From the idea of love being like a Baobab tree, the rest of this poem took root. Here's to inspiration from nature and from those we love, and for all the ways we chose to express it. 



Love me like a Baobab tree 
Sheltering and deep 
Love me like the glassy sea
Into we both shall leap

Rogue and vast and bright 
Love me more than speech can say
Love like second sight 
Love me like the milky way 


Love me fiercer than you dare
Faithless fears to quell 
Love me more than is our share
Carelessly rebel 

Love me like an ancient song
Bellowed rich and sweet
Love me fervently and strong
Heady summer heat

Love me like there is no sense
Love me fierce and wild
Love me with all tenderness
Love with truth beguiled

Love, I love with all of me
An ocean with no shore
Love, I love defiantly 
Moxie which is sure

Love, we love with earnest hearts
Gladsome journey forth
Companionship, in all parts
Compass of true north. 


Comments