slaves to free

I've finished memorizing Hebrews 11:1 - 12:2. Chapter 11 is often referred to as the Hall of Faith. I found that I needed to memorize the first two verses of chapter 12 as well, because it continues on and finds a little bit more of a conclusion there. It wasn't the original author who decided on the chapter breaks, after all.
This morning I began to memorize what may seem like an odd choice: Philemon. It's a short, slight book, a letter written by Paul to "fellow workers" and "beloved in Christ". But in the small, 25 verse letter, there is what I believe to be an exquisite look at Christ-like love.

A few weeks ago, I flipped open my Bible and happened upon Philemon. I have read the Bible through multiple times, especially the new testiment. But when I read Philemon that afternoon, for the umteenth time, it brought me to tears. Reading it, I felt Paul's pain; a prisoner who longed to be out with those he loved, preaching the gospel, instead of behind bars. He asks after his friends, commending them, and then speaks of a man who has been with him and must now leave him and return to Philemon. We find that the man has become very dear to Paul, like a son. Yet this man is apparently Philemon's slave. There is a possible debt associated with this slave that Paul promises to repay if neccessary. I long to know the full story; did the slave run away? Was he cast out for some misdeed? Is he a man or possibly a youth? Whatever the story, he came to Paul, whether sent or on his own, and became like a beloved son to Paul. Yet Paul feels that it would be better for this former slave to return to Philemon and help him with God's work. He doesn't want to send him away; my heart breaks when I read Paul saying that in sending him away he sends away his very heart. He is still in chains, but he sets another free. He is sacrificing one he loves, as God sacrificed His Son.

Near the end of the chapter, Paul makes one simple request; prepare a lodging for me, he asks, in hopes that he might soon be restored to them. Doesn't God often quietly ask us to make a place in our hearts for Him? He doesn't make a big fuss, a big deal, out of it. He simply asks that we be ready, because He is ever waiting.

I could work on memorizing more deeply spiritual chapters and books. But I know that I am supposed to place Philemon in my heart, because of what God has shown me in that small but full letter.
Grace and peace to you all ...

Comments