fiction lit

Books:

I'm still in the midst of "Reading Lolita In Tehran", though have taken a short break from it in favor of pieces of fiction. Last night I read 100 pages of "The Redemption Of Sarah Cain", finding that the movie changed many things from the book. The day before, on the 5 hour car ride to see my sister's graduation from college, I read a few short stories by Kim Edwards, author of the sad but poignant "The Memory Keeper's Daughter".

One of the lastest issues of The New Yorker had a short story entitled "A Tiny Feast", by Chris Adrian. I wish to read more by this author who, I discovered via Amazon, has a medical profession and writes on the side. This is a sort of dream of my own - to be published and to write avidly but probably not full-time, to still have other work that I'm involved in, particularly medical, such as an EMT. I read the story, and when I learned what his profession is it made perfect sense. The story - so sad, lovely, descriptive in a way both beautifull and sometimes strange - is about a boy with lukemia, and his faery guardians. I write guardians loosely: the faery father actually stole the baby boy from his bed as a present for his faery wife, hoping to mend an argument between them. The faeries in question are Oberon and Titania, the magical king and queen from Shakespeare's "A Mid Summer's Night Dream." The faery queen and then mother is at first "indifferent" to the human child, but quickly becomes attached, almost to her own chagrin. This causes minor rifts between the couple, who go back and forth between wanting more of each other's affection and showing themselves to be the one most full of affection for the boy. We are given glimpses into the faeries world, power, and feelings toward the boy, sickness, and toward all humans. We are given a solid look at lukemia and the heartbreaking journey of chemotherapy, "poisoning" as it were, to kill the cancer before it kills the patient. When the story ended I wanted more, more of Titania and Oberon and their view of life from their reign over the faery kindom, so full of quirks, changes in mood, passion, royalty, and spells that kept a queen's gown disguised as a track suit in front of humans, and could create the title feast, which also seems to have other meanings throughout the short and wonderful tale.

Comments