"loved so long" or, "stars, shells, and apples"

I scribbled this last night before going to bed. It's still rough I know. An allegory free-style poem?

I walked and walked and climbed and walked
up the tallest mountain
past the layer of lazy cloud
to the tip, to the top, to the point, to the peak
Because I had a lovely plan
you see

I went up there to where the stars
could be reached and touched and taken
by anyone who would travel all that way
Named and claimed and worn
dearly prized and loved
stars flickering in my dreams all throughout the night
They twinkled and dazzled my vision all the day

So I found the mountain top
I reached out for my star
the one I'd named and claimed and loved so long
Alas I found that all the stars
within that mighty mountain's reach
were nailed to the sky
quite fast and sure
They all were nailed down
so unlike shells upon a beach

I tugged and pulled and begged
they were so close
but all in vain
Twas all for naught
Such efforts with no gain

I almost turned away and left the mighty mountain top
dejected and discouraged
to trudge back
Instead I stayed and made a home
up there between the clouds
and polished every star that I could reach

Above my roof there is a net
should ever the chance be
That a shooting star should land there
just for me
That a falling star might drop right there
Like an apple from a tree

Comments