if only?


If only, if only,
we cry and sing
and moan about pretty much everything.

Like business and weather
and our weight and height
loneliness and worry keeps us up at night.

So we take a pill
and stare at our wrists
and the grass that's greener past the other fence.

We want to be better looking
and smarter too
We want to eat of the fruit that is still taboo.

So what do we gain,
or do we loose instead?
When dreams turn to fantasies in our heads?

We try to drown them out
the voices urging so
To buy this product to get charisma like Bono.

We could live to give
and really make a change
But we sit on the couch and say it's out of our range.

Do you say a prayer
as you go to sleep
Or have you given up on God and simply count some sheep?

I'm plenty guilty too
of the moaning and such
There are questions I'd like answered in a downright rush.

But there's a thing I believe
and it helps me behave
That is the Son of God died so that my life would be saved.

If the minutes I live
were tallied up for me
Would I want to know how much I fretted over me?

I want the things I do
and the words that I say
Steer away from "if only" and make much of today.

Comments