wake up and sing

I dreamed that I was living
inside an iron lung
A mirror straight above my head
someone crookedly hung.

My voice, in whisper or in song
no matter how I tried
was choked inside the coffin
that kept me still alive.

I craved with all my being
to rise up from the cave
coldest iron, still and dead
was my own living grave.

Inside the dream, inside the tomb,
my tears around me fell
till thought I that I'd drown in them
and thought it just as well.

When I awoke I found I lay
with both arms under me
asleep; all numb and tingling
wake slowly, painfully

My eyes adjusted to the night
no mirror overhead
that in my dream had taunted me
my face like living dead.

Slowly, carefully I sat up
like a bird testing her wing
I cleared my throat, then soft to strong
in the dark began to sing.

Comments