heartfelt



Sometimes I want to simply disappear inside my skin
My body sitting like a cloak while I just slip within

To my heart I wander, curious, along a vein
Stepping to the rhythmic, mathematical refrain

I'll explore the inside of my heart and feel each beat
All the veins like pathways in a capillary street

I wonder, where's the cracks from when it's broken in my chest?
Where are the hopes and fears that I keep tucked beneath my vest?

All of the memories from every part of all of my years?
Is there no reflecting pool of all the laughter and the tears?

There's the valves, working so hard, they never get a rest
I'm sure there have been times when I have put them to the test

Looking round inside, so anatomical, I find
Anything that I have seen in books and my own mind

Finally I leave this strange adventure, say adieu
Thankful here in my own skin for all that it can do

Palm upon my chest to feel my heart beat right along
Strong and fierce and delicate; a mortal, hopeful song

Comments