Wildflowers and wild heart



It may not officially be spring for a few more days, but it's spring in Texas. Green grass and leaves are bursting forth, flowers are blooming and the sun is shining gladly. We may not be fully out of the drought - there is still a long way to go before the lakes are back to their normal level - but the rain showers that have come our way have been received by the ground with joy. The thirsty earth shows its thanks with wildflowers.

Texas is a land which endures much and bounces back with exuberance. Just a little rain and the grass turns green again. The bluebonnets appear and everyone stops to admire and take pictures. The little things are beautiful. The whole of the place is lovely in strength and tenacity.

I love the land I'm from. I love to travel and see other places, and there may be other places I'd like to live someday, but I am happy that Texas is my homeland. The history is rich, the music and films are diverse, and the people are strong and welcoming. To say that I am a native Texan is something I'm proud of, and I hope its character - that rugged, wild beauty - rubs off on me.

Comments