To Be Known

 
Will you reply
when my words are not some sunny hue
gravity-bound; partly bold and half-way shy
weighty, cumbersome, yet true
Grasp the unheard, unseen, shouldn't we try?
I will, I will, I will reply to you.

Will you remark
with any honest feeling in your heart
with any darkened doubt or hopeful spark
For can't we give and take and share each part?
Till then I carry this flame in the dark
don't let, don't let, don't let us be apart.

Will you respond
for all these words are catching in my throat
until I try to speak and find I've yawned
For happy things we ever said or wrote
though like a pretty picture, bright day dawned,
can't still the silence, filling like a moat
Will you, will you, will you, my dear, respond?

Will you hold on
for any silhouette of any sign
if I in turn in times seem to be gone
If unresponsiveness makes slack this line
which we each walk, just as this lot is drawn
To love, oh joy and task, privilege divine
Won't we, won't we, won't we always hold on?


Comments