I'll Be


"A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you're fast asleep
In dreams you will lose your heartaches
Whatever you wish for, you'll keep"
 - A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes, from Disney's Cinderella



I’ll be the moonbeam at your back

I’ll be the warm sun on your skin

I’ll be the rain within your palm

I’ll be your darling kith and kin 


If I was greater than myself 

To be these things and even more

I’d be the boat which bears you home

I’d be your ocean and your shore 


I’ll be the birdsong heard at dusk

I’ll rise, as spring upon the earth 

I’ll bloom and sing and give good gifts

Each season finds some greater worth


If I was made of mightier stuff

A strength above sinew and will

Blood, bone and fallibility 

I’d do it all with deftest skill 


I’d crush each worry, kill each pain

Mend every dark uncertainty

Your warrior, lover, poet, friend 

Companion for what all may be


I’ll dream all day while wide awake

(Sometimes I’m too much in the sun)

I’ll know my human frailty

I’ll need your hand to onward run


I’ll need your help, for we are made

To give and take, in various parts 

Together, then, stumble and dance

Examining each other’s hearts 


I’ll be the breeze, gentle and cool

I’ll be the one to walk the line 

I’ll be sweet nectar, treat and balm

I’ll be this verse, and you’ll be mine


Comments