Making More Than Lemonade

 A modern sonnet. 


I zest the lemons into the sauce, squeezing the juice in as well.

My boyfriend tastes the dish of pasta and says, “It’s good. It tastes bright.”

“It’s the lemons,” I reply.  Three lemons used, as taste will tell. 

I used up the lemons with zeal, to make a cream sauce taste just right. 


Life hands us lemons, yet we complain? All can’t be oranges, sweet. 

Life hands us lemons; at the least they’re pretty, appealing to see.

Their color is vivid; I find it appropriate as we eat,

To hear my boyfriend use the word ‘bright’, saying the taste is cheery. 


I am thankful for the three lemons, and for the zester, borrowed. 

I am happy for adjectives such as ‘bright’ to describe a taste.

I am glad for a sunny perspective, when life comes in sorrowed. 

I am grateful to use the rind and juice; more meal made with less waste. 


Life hands us lemons, and we can search all around for sugar, or

Take the citrus and the yellow, discerning further good in store. 

Comments