2021 in Music



Every year, I enjoy looking back on music which stood out to me. Mostly it is new music from that year, though sometimes a song from the past will make it onto my list of ones I play on repeat. Always, there is so much more music to discover, so much I didn't get to or didn't hear about. Music, like most art, is a wonder; there is such variety in what is produced, what resonates with whom, and what continues to last. 

 

Stand-Out Songs

"The Pet Parade" by Fruit Bats

The opening track begins softly, an almost hypnotic balance of sounds which wafts through the air. The lyrics are gentle statements which could be interpreted in different ways; for me, it felt like music which spoke to this strange current time, which I found comforting. 

"Here we are, once again here
Weird in our own ways
And we are floating along
We are all just floating along
Something is in our eyes
Surrounded by
Something inconceivable 
Even to the non-believers
I know it, you know it" 


"Tender Mercies" by Glen Hansard and Eddy Vedder, from the "Flag Day" soundtrack

I haven't seen the movie this song is from, and unless someone recommends it I'll likely skip it due to the poor reviews. However, the soundtrack is stellar. It was Glen Hansard's name which attracted me to it, and this song stood out among the rest. Sung with Hansard's signature guttural sound, as though it's the most important song he'll sing, I love how the melody rises and crashes around the vocals. 

"Oh, what I said, it's taken us
So long to learn, the world is
Falling down around us while
We wait our turn"


"Right On Time" by Brandi Carlile

Carlile's voice is one for the ages, and there are a handful of her songs which hold nothing back. Rising slowly and steadily, both her lyrics and vocals climb in intensity, taking the listener on a journey they can feel all the way to the crescendo, and after. 

"It's getting to the point where I can't carry on
I never held my breath for quite this long 
And I don't take it back, I did what I had to do"


Plus:

"Always On My Mind" by Nané

"One Lovely Day" by Citizen Cope (2012)

"Weight Of The World" by Jon Foreman

"Comfortable" by John Mayer (1999)

"The Great Divide" by The Shins

"Distant Travelers" by Mike Love (2012)

"Hotel Lobby" by Datura 

"Jimmy Jimmy" by Gorillaz 



Favorite Full albums:


"Raise The Roof" by Robert Plant and Allison Kraus 

The first collaboration between these two artists happened fourteen years ago, and their reunion didn't disappoint. This collection brims with strong, heartfelt songs of love, betrayal, and redemption in the Americana style of music. Whether or not they will make more music together in the future, what can be said of this album is that it was certainly worth the wait. 


"Sob Rock" by John Mayer

Here, Mayer crafted a collection of songs which flows seamlessly one to the next. The album cover art is reminiscent of the early 2000's, a clever nod back to when he got his start. With his signature thoughtful lyrics and impressive guitar work, he's an artist who continues to not disappoint. 


"Long Lost" by Lord Huron

Somehow, I want to describe this artist's work as generally upbeat yet a little mellow. It's low but not slow; they have their own sound, and each album so far is easy to listen through on repeat. 


"Star-Crossed" by Kasey Musgraves

A master of clever lyrics and play on words, this collection is full of the conflicting emotions of the singer/songwriter's recent divorce. It's a raw and lovely offering, showing her strength as an artist who can go through a painful time and come out swinging. 


Plus:

"Stand For Myself" by Yola 

"My Morning Jacket" by My Morning Jacket 

"Solar Power" by Lorde

"Chemtrails Over The Country Club" and "Blue Banisters" by Lana Del Rey

"Young Heart" by Birdy 

"The Pet Parade" by Fruit Bats 


Comments