two weeks till Christmas

I left for work earlier than usual this morning. I could see my breath when I walked outside, and my car thermometer read 28 F. That's cold for where I live, even in December. I admired the sky: fingers dipped in pink paint had created horizontal streaks through the clouds, above the rising sun. I sang along with Christmas music, turning it up when when the song "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" came on.

It's two weeks and one day until Christmas. It feels like it's going by too fast. I wish there was double that amount of time; I want time to sit and read Christmas stories and drink hot chocolate. I want time to make a dozen batches of cookies for family and friends. I want time to make paper snowflakes and hang them in my room. Instead, I'm finishing Christmas shopping, I'm making some gifts but not as many as I'd hoped, and I'm probably going to send out just signed cards this year and not try to write a Christmas letter, which in the past have tried to be creative (a poem) or a hopefully interesting summary of the past year.

Yet I love selecting Christmas gifts. I love wrapping, giving, surprising, and even taunting my good-natured brothers with the fact that I have their gifts and they will love them but I won't give them a single hint. I love it, therefore I want more time to fully enjoy it. But there's always only time for so much. So, I'll enjoy it while it's here.


Then pealed the bells
both loud and sweet
God is not dead, not doth He sleep!
The wrong shall fail
the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will toward men.

Comments